19 October 2017

Bellary

Published in Talukas
Written by  09 May 2013 Be the first to comment!
Rate this item
(2 votes)

BELLARY (Before 1905)

Bellary:- In the reign of Krishna Rayel of Vijinagar, a small fort was built at Bellary by Timmappa, a dependent of that King. He and his son Rangappa held it for many years, paying an Annual tribute of Rupees 1,000. After the battle of Telikota, Bellary became subject to the Muhammadan sovereigns of Bijapur, but the successors of Rangappa near were almost Independent and in 1650 Hanumappa, his grandson, defeated the descendent of the Vijiyanagara Rajas, who claimed tribute from him, in a battle which was fought near Kampli. For another century the feud went on between the Rajas of Bellary, as they now styled themselves, and their former masters. After a time Bellary became part of the possessions of the Nizam and was included in the Jaghire of Adoni which had been given to Basal at Jung, the Nizam’s brother. In 1769, Safdar Jung and M. Bussy were sent from Adoni to collect the tribute which the Poligar had for some years refused to pay. The Poligar rashly called Hyder Ali to his aid, who reached Bellary by forced marches, and engaged and defeated the army of Basal at Jung in the plain at the foot of the rock. Doddappa Naik, the Poligar, who had watched the contest from the top of the rock fled by night to Sholapur, and Hyder took possession. He spent much money on the fortifications, and with the assistance of some French adventurers who were in his camp, he built the upper and the Lower forts much as they now are. Tradition adds, that at the completion of the work these Frenchmen were hanged near the fort gate, because Hyder then for the first time discovered that other rock was the higher, and that from it his stronghold could be commanded. Bellary was held by Hyder Ali and afterwards by Tippu till 1792, when by partition treaty of 1792 it fell to the Nizam.
 
The rock round which Bellary town is built is a budge granitic mass rising somewhat abruptly from the plain. It is about 450 feet above the level of the plain and nearly two miles in circumference. To the east and south the appearance presented is that of a heap of boulders irregularly piled one on the other, but to the west it slopes down more gradually and offers an unbroken surface of sheet – rock. To the north is a smaller detached mass of rocks.
 
Bellary rock is defended by two distinct lines of works, the upper and the lower fort. The upper fort is a quadrangular building on* the summit of the rock, and as there is only one way up to it (easily held by a small force), it was justly considered impregnable by the Mysore princes. A small guard is now kept on the hill, and here Nuzuffar Khan,* the ex-Nawab of Karnool, was confined for 40 years for the murder of his wife near Adoni. He was released from confinement on the occasion of Sir W. Denison’s visit in 1864.
 
The lower fort is built at the eastern base of the rock and is about half a mile in circumference. Within it are the Protestant Church, the Arsenal, the Orphanage, the Masonic Lodge, the Post Office, the commissariat Stores and many private dwellings.
 
Just outside the fort is the Protestant Burial Ground. This is already full, and a site for a new one has been selected near the Race-course.
 
On the south of the rock is the native suburb. The Cowl Bazaar containing 4,000 houses with a population of 18,323, is part of the * Cantonment, and is under military discipline. The Bruce-pettah and the Mellor-pettah also contain about 4,000 houses and have a population of 18,692. The main street in the Cowl Bazaar is wide, and the houses on either side of it well-built. It is said to be the finest Military Bazaar in South India. There are some fine houses in the Bruce-pettah, but the streets here are narrower and laid out with less regularity. It was commenced in 1815 by Mr. Bruce, the Judge, to shelter a number of people who were ejected from the fort without much warning for strategical reasons. The pettah is named after him, and the Mellor-pattah after a former Collector. To the west of the rock are the regimental lines for two Native Infantry Regiments, one European Regiment and one substantial buildings regularly and neatly laid out. On the other side of the rock are the Jail, the Sessions Court, the Cut cherry, the Public Bungalow and the residences of the Civil Officers and the Staff. The Railway terminus, now completed, is also here.

BELLARY (AFTER 1953)

www.nammabellary.com can guide you locate all your locations instantly.
The district is ample with water dams, beautiful reservoirs, gardens and historical monuments.


Bellary taluk takes its name from its headquarters town which is also the district headquarters town. There are several stories in circulation regarding the origin of its name. In one such story it is believed that the name is connected with the defeat and death of a demon king by name Bala who was harassing devekanyas at the hands of Indra. This place came to be known as ‘Bala - hari’ which in the course of time pronounced as ‘Ballari / Bellary’.

 

Bellary district takes its name from the word Balari which refers to goddess Durugamma as this goddess had manifested herself in the town. Some of the events in the great epic Ramayana are related to this historical place. It is said that Rama while searching for Sita met Sugreeva and Hanuman at a place which is very near to Hampi, the celebrated capital of Vijayanagara kingdom. The history speaks volumes about significant role it acquired during Satavahanas, Kadambas, Chalukyas of Kalyana, Kalachuryas, Sevunas and Hoysalas period. There upon the Vijayanagara rulers built the " City of Victory " on the bank of Tungabhadra river at Hampi in Hospet Taluk. This area which had witnessed the prosperity to its peak fell into political turmoil after the fall of Vijayanagara in 1565. This district was transferred to the erstwhile Mysore State on 1st October 1953 from Madras State.

Bellary city is situated in the Karnataka State border adjoining Andhra Pradesh. The state capital Bengaluru is about 305 KM from the city. Bellary city presently has a jurisdiction over an area of 81.95 Sq.Kms .

Bellary is the headquarters of the district of the same name in the state of Karnataka. It is an industrial town, having 7 taluks. Bellary stands amidst a wide, level plain of black cotton soil.

This is a border taluk where a significant number of people speak telugu.The number of villages fall on the border of Andhra Pradesh are 46 in number.

Being one of the oldest cities of the state, Bellary has certainly gained popularity for its magnanimous industrial and historical backdrop.

Bellary is a district in Karnataka. Bellary district is spread from southwest to northeast and is situated on the eastern side of Karnataka state. The district is 15x30 and 15x50 north latitude and 75x40 and 77x11 east longitude. The geographical area is 8447 km.

With the commencement of construction of several steel plants in the district, the city promises to be "The Jamshedpur of Karnataka" in the 21st Century. The city also has significant small-scale industrial activity and is one of the major centres of Jeans manufacturing in the country, and it is the second largest city in Asia in manufacturing ready-made garments.

Bellary City Municpal Council came into existence in the year 1867. Later it is upgraded as Bellary City Corporation on 28th September 2004. Bellary City Corporation is situated at the Gadigichennappa Circle, Opposite to Royal Theatre, Bellary.

Bellary as a district is endowed and gifted with mineral riches and wealth hence the quarrying and mining business is achieving great heights and developments with the passing days. Due to the strong historical and economical backdrop the district is the most developed district after Benglauru in Karnataka.

Bellary- The Steel City

Bellary is one of the important taluks in the district where industrialization taking place rapidly. In this taluk there are 3136 (appx) industrial units. These units provide employment to 15484 persons. Among medium and large scale units, Bellary Steels and Alloys Ltd, (Sponge Iron), Sharada Veg Oil Ltd (Solvent extraction), N.K.Steels (Billets and Sheet Products), Panyan Cement and Minerals, Hagari (Calcium Carbides and Acetylene Black), Krishna Stone tech Pvt. Ltd (Granite cutting and polishing), O.R.V. Casting (Alloy Casting Products) are important.

The Bellary steel industry gained momentum after the emergence of the Steel King; Arcelor Mittal gripped his feet in the Bellary steel industry somewhere in the early 2010. Keeping in mind the fact that the Bellary steel industry is well established since ages, the emergence of the Steel King only added up to the heritage and pride of the Bellary steel industry.

The Arcelor Mittal group, the Brahmani Industries Karnataka ltd, THE Shatavahana Ispat and the Navakaranataka Steels are the supposedly biggest contributors of the Bellary steel industries. These industries are situated in the outskirts of Bellary.

JSW which is a unit of the Jindal Steels is established 30 kms away from Bellary in the Sandur taluka. JSW boasts about an investment of 15,131 crores in the Bellary steel industry.

There are more than 3472 rural artisans whose activity comprises of Carpentry, Blacksmith, Cane and Bamboo, Leather, Tailoring, Goldsmith, Rope making, Pottery, Cotton weaving and Silk weaving etc.,

Bellary has a well-developed tourism sector, which draws tourists to its:

  • Its majestic Colonial Buildings
  • Stately Bellary Fort
  • Renown Ballari Gudda
  • The Rocks
  • Kumbara Gudda

How to ReachBy Bus – Bellary City is well connected by bus network.By Train – Bellary City is well connected by train networkBy Air – The nearest Airport to reach Bellary is Bangalore, 305 KM away.

*** *** ****

Kurugodu also known as Karagodu is a town in the southern state of Karnataka, India

Kurugodu is famous for Sri Doddabasaveswara temple.Kurugodu village (declared as taluk headquarters for the newly declared Kurugodu taluk) is 28 kms from Bellary town. Basaveshwara temple with modern gopura and large Nandi (12 feet height) attracts quite a good number of pilgrims. In old Kurugodu there are nine temples on one side and one temple on the other side of Hanumantha hill. No mortar was used and all had been constructed of granite.Kurgodu is remarkable for the number of temples in its vicinity, among them a very fine new one dedicated to Siva and containing a colossal representation of the bull Nandi, a monolith. There are several inscriptions cut in stone in the temples.

Kudutinnithe first stage on the Dharwar road and formerly considered a sacred place as the halting place of Komarasami on his expedition against the Rakshas. The town is a small one, but there is a good tank and the remains of a strong fort. Ruins in the town show that a Jaina settlement lived there at one time

Villages near Bellary

BELAGALLU
CHALAGURKI
DAMMURU
GANAKIHAL
H.VEERAPURA
HALAKUNDI
HANDIHAL
KALLUKAMBA
KAPPAGAL.
KAREKAL
KOLAGALLU
KOLUR
KORALGUNDHI
KUDITINI
KURUGODU
M.GONAL
MOKA
NELLUDI
ORVAI
P.D.HALLI
RUPANAGUDI
SANGANAKAL
SANJEEVARAYANAKOTE
SHANKARABANDA
SIDDAMMANAHALLI
SIDIGINAMOLA
SINDHIGERI
SIRIVARSOMASAMUDRA
SRIDHARAGADDA
VANENOOR
YATHENABUDIHAL
YELABENCHI
YEMMIGANUR
YERANGALIGI
YERRAGUDI




More in this category: Kudligi »

Leave a comment

Visitors Counter

3879986
Today
This Week
This Month
177
1688
13414

About Us

NammaBellary.com is a first business & informational website Designed by Adya Technologies, Ballari. We are specialised in Web Design & Development, Bulk SMS, Email, Web Hosting.

NammaBellary.com provides information on various sectors like Business, People, Movies, Tourism, Blood Donors, Banks, Hospitals, Schools & Colleges etc.