17 December 2018
Friday, 10 May 2013 16:33

Mr.Kiran Kumar.G. Katigar

Mr.Kiran Kumar.G. Katigar is son of Sri.Ganapathi & Smt.Kusuma Bai, was born on 23rd March 1988. Completed his 10th Std., at St., John’s High School, Bellary during 2004 and completed PUC (Commerce) at Ex. Municipal College, Bellary during 2006 and B.Com completed in Saraladevi College, Bellary in 2009.

During his childhood he was very sharp in education, positive mind in quiz competitions and playing games.
He is interested in doing Social work and helping the poor is his hobbies.
He performs pooja at Jagadamba Temple as Pujari, it is one of his regular work.
And working as Sales Executive in SA9 Media’s www.nammabellary.com

Friday, 10 May 2013 15:07

Mr.Kiran Kumar.G. Katigar

Mr.Javed.P. son of Sri.Hussain Saheb.P was born on 1st November 1986. Completed his Diploma in Electrical Engg., at Haveri and got 1st Rank.
During his childhood he was participated in sports, dance and keen interested in Cricket.
He was impressed by his childhood teacher and took 1st rank in DEE and he is interested in reading books & papers.
And working as Relationship Executive in a Private Financial Organization.
Thursday, 09 May 2013 13:27

Siruguppa

 It stands on a narrow branch of the Tungabadra. The river splits near Kenchanagudda in to two channels which enclose between them the island of Desanuru, six miles long, and reunite at its lower end.

 The name Siruguppa means “ pile of wealth” and is well earned by the striking contrast which its rich wet land, watered by two branches of an anicut channel from the Tungabhadra, affords to the Settlement Officer Said in 1896 “ I may say, without hesitation, that these are the very best of the lands I have seen in any district ( and I have served in eight district including Tanjore), especially those of the Desanuru is land.” They are nearly all a black loam, and some 20 acres are the ordinary lighter regada. From tem are sent to Bellary and Adoni large quantities of paddy, plantains, coccoanuts, sweet potatoes, pine-apples and garlic. The village boasts larger revenue assessment (Rs. 26,000) than any other in the district. The town has not however advanced rapidly in size. It lost 9 per cent. Of its population in the 1877 famine and in the thirty years between 1871 and 1901 its inhabitants only increased by 5 per cent.

The picturesque reach of the Tungabhadra which separates the village from Desanuru island flanked on the hither side for about a quarter of a mile by the old Siruguppa fort, while the other bank is fringed with the cocoanut palms of the island. On a bastion of the fort stands the temple to Sambhu Linga, the oldest in the Village. Within its enclosure are two inscribed stones, but one is broken in two and the other is chipped. Opposite the temple to Ur-amma, the village goddess, is another inscription. In the hospital is yet another. The most frequented temple in the place is the new one to Kotturu Basavanna, with the conspicuous gopuram. It was built (as the inscription over its doorway testifies) in 1887 by a local sowear.

Siruguppa taluk takes its name from its headquaters town. Siruguppa means “pile of wealth”. This taluk came into existence w e f 1st October 1910 after merging 46 villages from the Bellary taluk, 29 from the Adoni taluk and 23 from the Alur taluk. However Siruguppa taluk was abolished on 1st April 1923. But again, w e f 15th April 1929, 33 villages from the Adoni taluk,7 villages from Alur taluk along with the villages included in the Siruguppa Deputy Tahsildar’s division of Bellary taluk, constituted into a new taluk with Siruguppa as its Headquarters.

This is a border taluk where a significant number of people speak telugu. There is perfect hormony between kannada and telugu speaking people.

The taluk is bounded on the north by the Sindhanoor taluk of Raichur district, on the south by Bellary taluk and the east by the Kurnool district of Andhra Pradesh and on the west by Hospet and Bellary taluks.

The lands surrounding Ibrahampura and Desanur are reputed to be among the best lands in the district. Paddy, plantations, cocoanuts, sweet potatoes and garlic are sent to other places in large quantizes. Siruguppa and Tekkalakote towns have Town Panchayats.

Siruguppa is about 32 miles due north of Bellary. A Sub Magistrate is stationed here, who has also jurisdiction over 74 of the surrounding villages. The town is built on the south bank of the Tungabadra, and some of the minor channels pass among the houses. The situation m is low, the streets narrow and ill-ventilated, and the general health of the people is not good.

Cultivation
There are only two tributaries of the Tungabadhra river viz.,Hagari and Chikka Hagari which passes through two taluks - Bellary and Siruguppa.
The major crops grown are paddy, jowar and bajra, sunflower and groundnut, cotton, sugarcane. Being a border taluk many farmers from Andhra Pradesh have migrated here and cultivate lands on lease basis.

Industrialization
Industrialization is one of the important means of promoting economic development of the country. Siruguppa taluk occupies third place after Bellary and Hospet taluks in industrial activity when number of units is taken into consideration. In this taluk there are 1016 industrial units with an investment of Rs. 3293.95 lakh. These units provides employment to 4528 persons. Among medium and large scale units Siruguppa Sugar and Chemicals (Sugar), Unimetal Ispat Ltd, and (Foundry grade pig Iron) are worth mentioning.

Hirehal is on the Bangalore road, 10 miles south of Bellary. There are the remains of a strong fort here. The public Bungalow has been handed over to the Department of Public Works, but a room is reserved for district officers on circuit. Brass work is done here very largely.


Kenchengodu on the banks of the Tungabhadra is now almost in ruins. The gardens and fort were built by Kenchengowda, the founder of the place. For services rendered to the vijiyanagar State, the villages of Siragupa and Desanur were conferred in jag hire on his descendant Basavanagowda. In the time of his son the place was taken by the Subadar of Adoni. It is now almost deserted. There are some curius paintings on the ceiling of one of the rooms of the palace, and a lengthy inscription in Hali Canarese inserted in one of the walls.

Tekkalakota:

This town is 43 kms. from Bellary city. After downfall of Vijayanagara, Tekkalakota came under the control of Palagar Hanumappa Nayaka of Bellary. He built a fort around Amareswara temple in the village.Subsequently Hanumappa’s family lost it to the Muslim governer of Adoni in 1725. Again in 1775 it was captured by Hyder Ali who built the square stone fort adjoining to Siruguppa road.

A village of 4,516 inhabitants, and containing a police-station, 27 miles north of Bellary on the Siruguppa road. West of it lies a bold group of granite hills containing many fine blocks and tors. Mr. Bruce Foote says that one of the latter “ on the south-western spur of Tekkalakota gudda, as seen from the north by morning light, has the exact shape of a huge bear sitting upon his haunches.” With the villages adjoining, Tekkalakota (like Bellary and Kurugodu) was granted by the king of Bijapur after the downfall of Vijayanagar in 1565 to the Baluda Hanumappa Nayak who has already been mentioned in the account of Bellary town above. He built a fort which stood round about the Amaresvara temple in the southern part of the village, but of which scarcely a trace now remains “southern fort,” the adjective disstiguishing it, perhaps, from the Halekota futher north. The headman of the village possesses a MS. Which gives further details of its history and which, where it can be tested, is accurate. This says that in 1725 Hanumappa’s descendants, who ruled Tekkalakota from Bellary, lost it to the musalman governors of Adoni, who in the next year appointed over it an amildar called Nawab Tali Amul Khan. In 1759 Basalat Jang, who then held the jaghir of Adoni, appointed Hassanulla Khan as amildar. This is confirmed by the inscription on a stone beside the Virabhadra temple at the entrance to the village ahich, after narrating the Appointment, calls upon all whom it may concern loyally to obey the new officer or take the consequences. Teu years later, in 1769, Basalat Jang gave the place in Jaghir to one Pir Jaji Mohidin Sahib. In 1775 haidar Ali, After taking Bellary and Kurugodu, captured Tekkalakota also, and it was he who built the square stone fort which adjoins the Siruguppa road. This in fair condition, but contains little but prickly-pear.

 Well to the south of the village is a strikingly steep isolated rock crowned with a round watch tower.
The Amareshwara temple already mentioned contains an inscription which says that in A.D. 1511 one Jakka Raya Built it as an offering to Siva and in honour of king Krishna Raya of Vijayanagar. The temple is nearly buried in earth and debris but has been partly excavated and provided with a set of steps leading down to it. Some 20 or 30 yards from it is a small hole in the ground at the bottom of which some masonry appears, and probably there are other building buried there.

West of the village is the temple to Kadu Siddappa, a local saint, and the mantapam in which he lies buried. Between them stands an ancient and gnarled margosa tree which is regularly worshipped. Above the saint’s grave is the cot which he is said to have used. He was a Lingayat and a man of that sect looks after the worship.

Many are the miracles which he performed when alive. He brought rain whenever it was wanted, protected the village cattle from wild beasts and on one occasion saddled a wall, mounted it, and made it trot. His help is still invoked when difficulties arise. Prayers for rain are now-q-days made by some holy Musalmans, who hold an inam for this service. They go out on the day appointed by their dreams and offer intercession in a grotto among the line of hills which flanks the village on the west.

In the north-east part of the village, two miles away ,is a temple to Hari Mallapa, wherea considerable festival and fair is held annually.

The only industry in Tekkalakota is the weaving of coarse cotton fabrics (from thread spun at Bellary) by Pinjaris or Dudekulas, who are more than usually numerous in this village. They make purdahs and cloth for native tents, sometimes coloring the thread with the clayey pigments found in the Sandur hills.






Thursday, 09 May 2013 13:26

Hadagali

Hadagali taluk takes its name from its headquaters town. There are several stories in circulation regarding the origin of its name.The full name of the village is Huvina Hadagali.Huvu means flower; Hadaga means boat and Halli means village.Therefore it is a “village of flower boat”.It is believed that when the city of Vijayanagara flourished flowers needed for temples and palace were floated down from Tungabadhra from this place.As if to confirm this even today it can be seen number of old wells and gardens in this place.

Hadagalli:
the full name of village is Huvinahadagalli, and the derivation of the word is said to be from Huvina, the adjectivation of the Canaries hu, a flower; hadaga, a boat; and halli, a village; meaning “ the village of the flower-boats”; the story being that in the days when the city of Vijayanagar still flourished flowers for its temples and palaces were floated down the Tungabhadra from this place. The tale receives some confirmation from the fact that the village contains a number of old wells and is still known for its gardens, betel, and plantains. It is a pleasant village and reputed most healthy; is the head-quarters of the taluk and union, and contains a well-built reading-room erected from public subscriptions, a sub-registrar’s office, a police-station and a recently-erected D.P.W. inspection bungalow. The population is 5,281.

Its chief interest lies in its temples. Two of these , the black stone Chalukyan temples to Kalleshwara and Kesavaswamy, are described and depicted in detail in Mr. R3ea’s Chalukyan Architecture above mentioned. They cannot compare in richness of detail with those at Bagli, Magalam or Hirehadagalli. Neither of them were finished. The tower in the former is incomplete and in the latter the exterior blocks of the bas and the jamb and lintel bands of the doors are left uncared, though the original intention was evidently to decorate them. The delicate carving in both of them has been greatly spoiled by wanton chipping and by frequent coats of most tenacious whitewash . the Kalleshwara temple is now included in the list of buildings conserved by Government. There is an inscription on a detached stone standing against the outside of its southern wall.

When the wall of the old fort was demolished in 1866, two temples were discovered built up in it. Worship is now performed in both of them. The image in one, that dedicated to Yogi Narayanaswamy , is of black stone and quite exquisite carved. Both are Chalukyan in aspect, and have the perforated stone window on each side of the shrine door which are characteristic of that style, but the carving in both is pitifully clogged with whitewash. In the Hanuman temple opposite the taluk cut cherry the present chairman of the union has recently placed for safety the two images of Ganesa figured in plates 1xxvii. And xcvi. Of Mr. Rea’s book above referred to, which formerly were standing in the open in the village.

*** *** ***

 Though Hadagalli is one of the four “western taluks” of the district, where red and mixed soils usually greatly predominate, a tract in its southern corner comprising nearly one-third of its area is covered with black cotton-soil. Of the remainder, mixed soils occupy about two-thirds and red land one-third. It is one of the flattest taluks in the district, for its many undulations are of the long and low variety and it is only in the two places in the south where the extremities of the Mallappanbetta and Kallahalligudda ranges run into it that it can be said to be broken by real hills. The whole of it drains ultimately into the Tungabhadra, the eastern half by way of the Chikka Hagari. It is perhaps the healthiest part of the district.

Statistics relating to the taluk will be found in the separate Appendix. The abrupt decline which occurred in the number of its inhabitants between 1891 and 1901 was due to the fact that in the former year the census fell upon a date on which large crowds of pilgrims from Bombay and Mysore were assembled at the great festival at Mailar and consequently the population as then enumerated was greatly above the normal. As many as nine-tenths of the people speak Canarese. Jains number nearly four hundred, a slightly higher figure than in any other taluk. The weaving industry at Hampasagaram and Tambasrahalli is referred to in Chapter VI.

Hadagalli taluk shres with Harapanahalli the peculiarity of being practically the only part of the Presidency in which any examples of the Chalukya an style of architecture have been found. Outside these two taluks, the only instances of the style at present on record are the temples at Ambali in kudligi, at Peddatumbalam in Adoni and at Kambaduru, near the southern frontier of the Kalyandurg taluk of Anantapur. Examples abound, however, in Mysore and Dharwar. In Hadagalli taluk, temples built in this style occur at Hadagalli, Hirehadagalli, and Magalam, and, in Harapanahalli, at Bagali, Halsavasgalu, Kuruvatti and Nilagunda. All of these lie within a circle with a radius of twelve miles and they have been described in detail, with numerous plans and drawings, in Mr. Rea’s Chalukyan Architecture2  Some accounts of each of them will be found in the notices of these various Places below, and a slight description of the style and its peculiarities may be given here once for all. As has already been seen1, the Western Chalukyasm, after whom this form of architecture has been named, were originally Jains and later Hindus, and though the style appears2 to have had its origin in the earlier from of faith, and so retains traces of Jain influence, its situation, locally, midway between the Dravidian and northern styles led it to occasionally borrow features and forms from both. In its essentials, it remains none the less, an individual and distinct style. Its towers do not follow the “ pine-apples like the gopuras of the well-known temples in the southern districts, but ascend in steps and are pyramidal. The plan of the shrines is sometimes (though not in Bellary) star-shaped, instead of square as in Dravidian style. The pillars have none of the brackets so characteristic of those in the south and are similar in outline. Finally, pierced stone slabs are used for windows, a method followed in no other style.

But what strikes the observer as being most characteristic is the extraordinary richness, power, delicacy and finish of the stone carving in these temples. It has been said 3 that “ no chased work in gold or silver could possibly be finer” and yet the ornament is very bold, being generally completely undercut and sometimes attached to the masonry by the slenderest of stems some of the pillars bear signs of having been turned on some sort of lathe. The material used is pot-stone or steatite and was probably obtained from the disused quarries which are still to be seen at Nilagunda and at An guru on the Tungabhadra, five miles from Hirehadagalli. This is said to be soft when first quarried and to harden on exposure to the air. It weathers into varying beautiful shades of brown, and yet is so little affected by exposure that the details of the work remain as sharp as the day they were fashioned. The finest work in the group is perhaps to be found in the pillars of the big mantapam at Bagali, the ceilings at Magalam and the doorways and exterior at Hirehadagalli. The Halavagallu temple is the least ornate of the series. Mr. Re considers thet the earliest of the temples is that at Bagali and that they are all of approximately the sazme period and were probably consteucted during the twelfth century. An inscription at Bagli, since deciphered, shows however that the temple there was in existence before 1018 A.D.and further evidence on the point will doubtless be eventually derived from the other inscriptions within them. Local tradition has it that they are all the work of a well-known architect called Jakkanachari, regarding whom several miraculous stories are told. Several of the temples are unfinished and it may be that work on them was interrupted by the downfall of the Western Chalukyan dynasty in 1189. The carving in more than one of them has been wantonly damaged and chipped and it is often almost hidden under the coasts of whitewash with which the present –day pujari delights to smear the temples entrusted to his charge.

Cholam and korra are the staple crops of the Hadagalli taluk, but cotton is raised on quite a considerable area in the south of it and , s in the other western taluks, castor is extensively grown. The large acreage of horse-gram, a crop which will grow on the poorest land with the lightest land is lower than in any other taluk show, however, that taluk is not a fertile one.

The under mentioned are among the more notable places within it:-

Bellahunishi: Twelve miles south-west of Hospet along the main road to Dharwar: travelers’ bungalow: population 778. In the limits of Vallabhapuram, one of its hamlets, is the Vallabhapuram anicut across the Tungabhadra already referred to above1 under “ Irrigation.” An inscription on a stone near by states that it was built in A.D. 1521 by Krishna Deva Raya of Vijayanagar.

Devagondsnahalli: Three mile south of Hadagalli. Population 1,082. Mr. Bruce Foote says2 “ An interesting outcrop of a true pebbly conglomerate with quartzite matrix is to be seen on a low hill just south of Dagunahalli (two miles south of Huvina Hadagalli). It is much hidden by red soil, but where exposed much broken up into small pits like diamond digger’s pits, and near the western end of the end among the pits I observed two small platforms neatly edged with Jumps of stone and strongly resembling the sorting platforms used by the diamond diggers at Banganapalli. Despits of many inquiries through the taluk Officials, I could gin no information about this possible old diamond working: nobody had ever heard of it. The place has, however, an unmistakable resemblance to a diamond digging, and the pebbly conglomerate is quite sufficiently like to the Banaganapalli conglomente to render it quite probable that the pits and platforms are genuine traces of the work of a diamond prospecting party in former but not very remote times

The taluk is bounded on the south by the Harpanahalli tauk of Davanagere district, on the north by Mundargi and Sirahatti of Gadag district,on the east by the Hagaribommanahalli taluk and on the west by Haveri and Ranebennur taluks of Haveri district.
The geographical area of the taluk is 948 sq.km.  This taluk occupies sixth place both in area and population.
HADAGALLI:- The area of the taluk has been computed to be 623 square miles. In shape it may be described as an irregular parallelogram with an average length of 32 miles and a breadth of 20 miles. The taluk is in general flat with a gradual fall to the north. There are a few small and unimportant hills in the south near Adavi Mallanakerra. The soil is chiefly of the red and mixed description, and only about 9 per cent, of the total area is black soil. Very little of it is irrigated

Places of Interest

Hirehadagalli: elevenmiles south-west of Hadgalli. Population 4, 153,. Contains one of the best of the black stone Chalukyan temples which are found in this part of the country. The material for this was probably obtained from the quarry at Anguru on the Tungabhadra, west-north-west of the village. The building is described to. Its chief beauties are the carving on two of the doorways and on parts of the exterior walls. In the bay on the north wall, for example, “every detail of the carved work is as minutely finished as jewellery.” It is on the list of buildings selected for conservation by Government.

Holalu: In the south- west corner of the taluk; police-station; population 3,194. Famous among the native population for the beautiful image of Anantasayana, or Vishnu sleeping on the serpent, which it possesses. This is carved in black stone with a power and finish quite out of the ordinary. A drawing of it will be found in Plate XV of Mr. Rea’s book. It was apparently executed elsewhere and brought here, as stone of the kind of which it is made is not procurable locally. For the popular legend connecting it with the curious shrine at Anantasainagudi in Hospet taluk, see the account of that place below (p.258). The little shrine which now stands over it was put up by the villagers in the seventies at the suggestion of M.R.Ry. Venkatachalam Pantulu, then Deputy Collector of the western tluks, to protect it from damage and the weather.

Kogali: Four miles north by west of the tri-junction of the three taluks of Hadagalli and Kudligi. Population 3,489. In olden days it was a place of some importance, being the capital of a sub-division (called “the Kodligi five-hundred” and corresponding to the present Hadagalli and Harapanahalli taluks) of the “ Nolambavadi thirty-two thousand,” which was a Pallava province from about the middle of the 7th century to about the end of the 10th century. The village was also apparently once a considerable Jain centre. There is a Jain temple in it which is still called “ the basti.” Near this is a Jain image, in the usual posture of abstraction and contemplation, which is more then life size. There are other Jain relics else where in the place, and further examples are reported from the neigh bouring village of Nelikudiri, Kannehalli, Kogalisamukodihalli. In and near the basti are a number of inscriptions, and these and the records in the Bagali temple in Harapanahalli temple referred to below give us particulars of some of the various chiefs who ruled the Kogali five-hundred. In A.D. 944-45 it was governed by a Chalukya feudatory of the Rashrakuta king Krishna III and in 956-57 by one of the chiefs of that dynasty. After the Chalukyas recovered their sovereignty in 973 it was ruled in 987-88 by one Aryavarman and in 992-93 by Adityavarman. In 1018 a Pallava feudatory of the Chalukyas called Udaysditya, who boasted the euphonious surname of Jagadekamalla-Nolamba-Pallava-Permanadi, was in charge of it and in 1068 it was ruled by Jayasimha, younger brother of the ruling Chalukya king, Somesvara II. The Kogali inscriptions also record gifts to the Jana temple of Chenna-Parsva in the village by the Hoysala ruler Vira-Ramananatha in 1275 and 1276 and to the Viirabhadra temple by Achytutaraya of Vijananagar.

Magalam:
A mile from the Tungabhadra and west by south of Hadagalli; police-station population 2,759. Noted for its Chalukyan temple of black soapstone, dedicated to Venugopalaswamy, or Krishna with the flute. This consists of three shrines opening on to a central mantpam. The three doorways leading from the main mantapam, especially that on the west, are exquisite in design and workmanship and the ceilings are probably the finest in the whole series of Chalukyan temples in the district. Mr. Rea’s book contains many drawing of the building. It is now on the list of those conserved by Government.

Mailar: A mile from the Tungabhadra in the extreme south-western corner of the taluk. Population 1,722. The village is famous throughout the district for the annual festival held at the temple there every February, at which is uttered a cryptic of the coming year.
The temple is dedicated to Siva in his from Mallari or Mallahari, meaning ‘ the defeat of Malla.’ The story connected with this name (see the Mallari malamtmya; there are, as usual, many variants of it) is that a demon called Mallasura ( Malla-asura, ‘the demon Mall’) and his brother, having by severe penances extracted from Brahma a promise that they should never be harmed by any being in any from then existing , began to greatly harass the rashes. The gods were appealed to and siva put on a new from, so as to circumvent Brahma’s promise, and taking with him forces t o the number of seven crores, also in new forms which had never before served in an army (such as dogs), warred with Mallasura and his brother for ten long days and at length slew them both with his bow and overcame their followers. The gods and rishis were in transports at his triumph and joined in fore telling unbroken prosperity as the fruit of it.

The ceremonies and rites at the festival from a curios sort of miracle-play representative of this ‘war in heaven’ and its result. The pilgrims to the festival go about shouting Elukoti! (seven crores !) instead of the name of the god as usual, and the goravas-the special name for men (and women ) who have dedicated themselves to this temple in the curious manner prevalent in the western taluks-dress themselves up in blankets and run about on all fours, barking and pertending that they are some of Siva’s army of dogs. After residing for ten days (the period during which siva fought with Mallasura and his brother) on a hillock outside the village, the god returns. He is met half-way by the goddess, his wife, who comes to congratulate him on his success, and the two remain for some time at the victory is represented by the propheey or karanikam. It is pronounced on this tenth day, and all the thousands of people present crowd round the place where the god and goddess have halted.

A huge wooden bow, about ten feet long, symbolice of that with which siva slew Mallasura, is brought and placed on end. A Kuruba (the sameman has performed the ceremony for many years in succession) who has fasted for the past week steps forward and receives the bendication of the dharmakarta. He then climbs partly up the bow, being supported by those nearest him. For a minute or two looks in a rapt manner to the four points of the compass, then begains shuddering and trebling as a sing that the divine afflatus is upon him, and then calls out “Silence!” the most extraordinary and compete silence immediately falls upon the great crowd of pilgrims, every one waiting anxiously for the prophecy. After another minute’s pause and again gazing up wards to the heavens, the Kuruba pronounces the word or sentence which foretells the fate of the coming year, invariably following it with the word Parak!meaning ‘Hark ye,’or ‘Take ye note.’

The original edition of this Gazetter states that in the year before the Mutiny the prophecy was “ the white-ants are risen against.” Latterly, at any rate, the sentence has cither been of crops. A few instances are;-“ Serpent will enter ants’ hill”! “ Lighting will strike the sky “ ! “Pleasure”! “ Equal oceans.” A karnikam is also pronouneed in much the same manner at the Mallari temples at Devaragudda in the Ranibennur taluk of the Dharwar district and at Hosappatidevaragudda, hamlet of Neraniki in Alur taluk, and also Dasara day at the little temple of Mailar Lingappa in the north-west corner of Harpanahalli village.

Two other ceremonies at the Mailar feast (which are imitated at the festival at Harapanahalli) are perhaps worth noting. They were probably originally intened to be symbolic of the prodigics performed by Siva’s army in the war with Mallasura. In the first, a stout chain is fastened to a slab of stone in the temple. A number of the goravs collect together and are blessed by the dharma kart. After howling and barking like dogs for a short while they seize the chain and break it in two. Thesecond ceremony consists in a man driving through the small of this leg, above the ankle, a pointed wooden peg about three-quarters of an inch in diameter, pulling it right through the hole it makes, and then passing a chain through the hole. Very little bleeding follows, and the man is rewarded by the faithful. The supposition is the he has trained himself for the feat by gradually, through a considerable period of time, driving larger and pegs through the same part of his leg until he can manage quite a big one without serious inconvenience. He at any rate declines to drive in tpeg any where except at this one place.

The Mailar festival is important as a cattle fair, though less so than that at Kuruvatti in the Harapanahalli taluk which follows it in March of each year. The cattle brought for sale are mostly of the mysore breed, or nearly allied to it, often closely resembling the well-known Amrat Mahal animals.

Mallappan Betta: is the chief peak of the Mallappangudda rage of hills, which are of Dharwar rock. It stands three miles south-west of Sogi, measured in a direct line, nd is 3,177feet deep in which has been placed an image to Mudi Mallappa, or “ ancient Mallappa,” the god of the hill. Worship is regularly paid to it. The view from the top of the peak is well worth the climb. On a clear day the hills as far as Rayadrug can be identified.

Modalukatti: a hamlet of Kombali, situated on the bank of the Tungabhadra, seven miles north-north-west of IIadagalli. The name means “ first building” and the village was so called, says the story, because it was the scene of the first of the Vijayanagar kings’ attempts to construct an cut across the river. The remains of the old dam are still standing and still hold up a considerable body of water. The channel which runs through the breach in the middle of the ancient is the favorite water of the local anglers in the hot weather.

Sogi: Six miles south-east of Hadagalli, measured in a direct line. Population 2,683. Known for its melons, which are considered to be of special sweetness and are very large, some of them weighing as much as 40 Ibs. Mr. Rea’s book mention the Chalukyan temple made of black stone which is in this village but gives no description or drawings of it.

Tambarahalli: Situated about midway between Bellahunishi and Hampasagaram, police-station ; population 2,729. The silk-weaving carried on in this village and its next neighbor Bachigodanahalli has already been referred to. The temple on the bare hummock of rock which is notice cable so many miles in every direction round is the Tambarahalli village temple. It is not worth a visit. The wet land of the village is irrigated by a channel dug annually from the chikka Hagari ( the only one of its kind all along the river), while within the village limits is the one and only anicut across that river. Water Tken from this irrigates land in Bachigondahalli and however, a proposal to build a dam across the Chikka Hagari at Nelikudiri, and should this be eventually carried into effect Tambarahalli will be one of the villages benefited
.

Kogali:
Kogali village was once a Jaina centre.One can find Jaina temple here with an image of Teerthankarain in the posture of contemplation.

 Kuruvatti:
This village is situated on the bank of Tungabadhra at a distance of 36 kms from Hadagali.Every year during car festival cattle fair is conducted with much fanfare.

 Magala:
Magala village which is 25 kms from Hadagali is noted for Chalukyan temple dedicated to Venugopalaswamy.

 Mylara:
This village is situated at a distance of 33 kms. from Hadagali and 2 kms. from Tungabadhra river.The temple here is dedicated to Lord Shiva in the form of Mailara.Mailara means defeater of Malla.Mylara Jathra is very popular in and around Hadagali taluk.This annual festival attract a large number of devotees from all over the state.
Thursday, 09 May 2013 13:25

Sandur

Sandur the princely state, which had an area of just 1258 sq. kms was surrounded on all sides by the taluks of Bellary district of the erstwhile Madras State (1947). Under the circumstances, it had no option except to cooperate with the Govt. of India which took up the task of integrating the princely states. On 1st April the administration of Sandur was transfered to the Govt.of India. In the year 1950 by adding Choranur and Torangal RI circles Sandur had become a separate taluk of Bellary district. In olden days it was called Skandapuri i.e., the city of Skanda or Kumaraswamy whose temple is situated nearby Sandur.

This is a border taluk to Andhra Pradesh where 25 villages of Karnataka fall on the border of the said state. The taluk is bounded on the north and west by the Hospet taluk, on the south by Kudligi taluk and on the east by the Bellary taluk.
The geographical area of the taluk is 1258 sq.km.

This is a picturesque hill fringed region in a splendid valley. It has natural riches of iron and manganese ores. A huge fort can be seen in a marvellous palace here. This fort is a remarkable monument left behind by the famous Maratha rulers. There are two wonderful temples dedicated to Lord Kumaraswamy and Goddess Parvathi. These are situated here in the hills of Bellary. The temple contains some amazing elements of art and sculpture and it has serene surroundings. A temple of Lord Rama can be seen on this hill resort.



Cultivation
The major crops grown are bajra, maize, cotton, jowar and sunflower.

Industrialization
Industrialization is one of the important means of promoting economic development of the country. Sandur is one of the important taluks in the district where industrialization is taking place rapidly. This is because of the establishment of Jindal Steel Factory at Toranagallu. In this taluk there are 857 industrial units with an investment of Rs. 851.83 lakh. These units provide employment to more than 3084 persons. Among medium and large-scale units Sandur Micro Circuites Ltd., (Capacitors Network) and N.M.D.C. Ltd., Donimalai (Iron Ore).

Places of Interest
(a) Bommagatta:
This village is situated at a distance of 48 kms from Sandur town.It is famous because of an old temple of Hulikuntaraya (Anjeneyaswamy).

(b) Daroji Tank:
This tank built by Tipu at Daroji village whicj is 48 kms from Sandur town.This tank is said to be one of the biggest tanks in the district.When this tank breached in 1851,the old village of Daroji destroyed under its impact.Susequently a new village was built (new Daroji).

(c) Donimalai Hill Range:
The Donimalai hill range with huge potentiality of iron ore is being exploited by NMDC.This is the first venture of NMDC in the southern region of the country.

(d) Ramanadurga Hill Station:
From Sandur at a distance of 16 kms the said hill station is situated at a height of 3256 feet from the sea level.The hill station provides excellent views into the Sandur valley on one side and over the western taluks on the other side.There is a fort in this village built by prince Kumara Rama of Kampli which ofcourse now in a ruined state.There is one Ramadeva temple which is rebuilt out the remains of an older temple.

(e) Kumaraswamy Temple Complex:
This is 12 kms away from sandur on a hill station.

 
Thursday, 09 May 2013 13:24

H.B Halli

Hagaribommanahalli (H B Halli) taluk is the headquarters town of the taluk of the same name, at a distance of 110 kms from Bellary city. Incidentally this is only taluk with no urban areas in its jurisdiction in the state.

The taluk is bounded on the north by the Koppal district on the south by Kudligi taluk,on the east by the Hospet taluk and on the west by Hadagali taluk..

H B Halli taluk occupies 5th place in area and last place in population among seven taluks. The geographical area of the taluk is 974 sq.km.
Places of Interest

(a) Ambli:
This village is famous for Black stone Chalukyan temple dedicated to Kalleswara .

(b) Holalu:
This village which is 32 kms away from Hadagali is famous for the beautiful image of Ananthashayana which is carved in black stone.

(c) Malvi Dam:
Malvi dam which is constructed in 1972 at a cost of Rs.412.00 lakh has capacity of 2 TMC.This dam covers 15 villages for irrigation purpose.The irrigation potentiality is 2965 hectares.
Thursday, 09 May 2013 13:22

Bellary

BELLARY (Before 1905)

Bellary:- In the reign of Krishna Rayel of Vijinagar, a small fort was built at Bellary by Timmappa, a dependent of that King. He and his son Rangappa held it for many years, paying an Annual tribute of Rupees 1,000. After the battle of Telikota, Bellary became subject to the Muhammadan sovereigns of Bijapur, but the successors of Rangappa near were almost Independent and in 1650 Hanumappa, his grandson, defeated the descendent of the Vijiyanagara Rajas, who claimed tribute from him, in a battle which was fought near Kampli. For another century the feud went on between the Rajas of Bellary, as they now styled themselves, and their former masters. After a time Bellary became part of the possessions of the Nizam and was included in the Jaghire of Adoni which had been given to Basal at Jung, the Nizam’s brother. In 1769, Safdar Jung and M. Bussy were sent from Adoni to collect the tribute which the Poligar had for some years refused to pay. The Poligar rashly called Hyder Ali to his aid, who reached Bellary by forced marches, and engaged and defeated the army of Basal at Jung in the plain at the foot of the rock. Doddappa Naik, the Poligar, who had watched the contest from the top of the rock fled by night to Sholapur, and Hyder took possession. He spent much money on the fortifications, and with the assistance of some French adventurers who were in his camp, he built the upper and the Lower forts much as they now are. Tradition adds, that at the completion of the work these Frenchmen were hanged near the fort gate, because Hyder then for the first time discovered that other rock was the higher, and that from it his stronghold could be commanded. Bellary was held by Hyder Ali and afterwards by Tippu till 1792, when by partition treaty of 1792 it fell to the Nizam.
 
The rock round which Bellary town is built is a budge granitic mass rising somewhat abruptly from the plain. It is about 450 feet above the level of the plain and nearly two miles in circumference. To the east and south the appearance presented is that of a heap of boulders irregularly piled one on the other, but to the west it slopes down more gradually and offers an unbroken surface of sheet – rock. To the north is a smaller detached mass of rocks.
 
Bellary rock is defended by two distinct lines of works, the upper and the lower fort. The upper fort is a quadrangular building on* the summit of the rock, and as there is only one way up to it (easily held by a small force), it was justly considered impregnable by the Mysore princes. A small guard is now kept on the hill, and here Nuzuffar Khan,* the ex-Nawab of Karnool, was confined for 40 years for the murder of his wife near Adoni. He was released from confinement on the occasion of Sir W. Denison’s visit in 1864.
 
The lower fort is built at the eastern base of the rock and is about half a mile in circumference. Within it are the Protestant Church, the Arsenal, the Orphanage, the Masonic Lodge, the Post Office, the commissariat Stores and many private dwellings.
 
Just outside the fort is the Protestant Burial Ground. This is already full, and a site for a new one has been selected near the Race-course.
 
On the south of the rock is the native suburb. The Cowl Bazaar containing 4,000 houses with a population of 18,323, is part of the * Cantonment, and is under military discipline. The Bruce-pettah and the Mellor-pettah also contain about 4,000 houses and have a population of 18,692. The main street in the Cowl Bazaar is wide, and the houses on either side of it well-built. It is said to be the finest Military Bazaar in South India. There are some fine houses in the Bruce-pettah, but the streets here are narrower and laid out with less regularity. It was commenced in 1815 by Mr. Bruce, the Judge, to shelter a number of people who were ejected from the fort without much warning for strategical reasons. The pettah is named after him, and the Mellor-pattah after a former Collector. To the west of the rock are the regimental lines for two Native Infantry Regiments, one European Regiment and one substantial buildings regularly and neatly laid out. On the other side of the rock are the Jail, the Sessions Court, the Cut cherry, the Public Bungalow and the residences of the Civil Officers and the Staff. The Railway terminus, now completed, is also here.

BELLARY (AFTER 1953)

www.nammabellary.com can guide you locate all your locations instantly.
The district is ample with water dams, beautiful reservoirs, gardens and historical monuments.


Bellary taluk takes its name from its headquarters town which is also the district headquarters town. There are several stories in circulation regarding the origin of its name. In one such story it is believed that the name is connected with the defeat and death of a demon king by name Bala who was harassing devekanyas at the hands of Indra. This place came to be known as ‘Bala - hari’ which in the course of time pronounced as ‘Ballari / Bellary’.

 

Bellary district takes its name from the word Balari which refers to goddess Durugamma as this goddess had manifested herself in the town. Some of the events in the great epic Ramayana are related to this historical place. It is said that Rama while searching for Sita met Sugreeva and Hanuman at a place which is very near to Hampi, the celebrated capital of Vijayanagara kingdom. The history speaks volumes about significant role it acquired during Satavahanas, Kadambas, Chalukyas of Kalyana, Kalachuryas, Sevunas and Hoysalas period. There upon the Vijayanagara rulers built the " City of Victory " on the bank of Tungabhadra river at Hampi in Hospet Taluk. This area which had witnessed the prosperity to its peak fell into political turmoil after the fall of Vijayanagara in 1565. This district was transferred to the erstwhile Mysore State on 1st October 1953 from Madras State.

Bellary city is situated in the Karnataka State border adjoining Andhra Pradesh. The state capital Bengaluru is about 305 KM from the city. Bellary city presently has a jurisdiction over an area of 81.95 Sq.Kms .

Bellary is the headquarters of the district of the same name in the state of Karnataka. It is an industrial town, having 7 taluks. Bellary stands amidst a wide, level plain of black cotton soil.

This is a border taluk where a significant number of people speak telugu.The number of villages fall on the border of Andhra Pradesh are 46 in number.

Being one of the oldest cities of the state, Bellary has certainly gained popularity for its magnanimous industrial and historical backdrop.

Bellary is a district in Karnataka. Bellary district is spread from southwest to northeast and is situated on the eastern side of Karnataka state. The district is 15x30 and 15x50 north latitude and 75x40 and 77x11 east longitude. The geographical area is 8447 km.

With the commencement of construction of several steel plants in the district, the city promises to be "The Jamshedpur of Karnataka" in the 21st Century. The city also has significant small-scale industrial activity and is one of the major centres of Jeans manufacturing in the country, and it is the second largest city in Asia in manufacturing ready-made garments.

Bellary City Municpal Council came into existence in the year 1867. Later it is upgraded as Bellary City Corporation on 28th September 2004. Bellary City Corporation is situated at the Gadigichennappa Circle, Opposite to Royal Theatre, Bellary.

Bellary as a district is endowed and gifted with mineral riches and wealth hence the quarrying and mining business is achieving great heights and developments with the passing days. Due to the strong historical and economical backdrop the district is the most developed district after Benglauru in Karnataka.

Bellary- The Steel City

Bellary is one of the important taluks in the district where industrialization taking place rapidly. In this taluk there are 3136 (appx) industrial units. These units provide employment to 15484 persons. Among medium and large scale units, Bellary Steels and Alloys Ltd, (Sponge Iron), Sharada Veg Oil Ltd (Solvent extraction), N.K.Steels (Billets and Sheet Products), Panyan Cement and Minerals, Hagari (Calcium Carbides and Acetylene Black), Krishna Stone tech Pvt. Ltd (Granite cutting and polishing), O.R.V. Casting (Alloy Casting Products) are important.

The Bellary steel industry gained momentum after the emergence of the Steel King; Arcelor Mittal gripped his feet in the Bellary steel industry somewhere in the early 2010. Keeping in mind the fact that the Bellary steel industry is well established since ages, the emergence of the Steel King only added up to the heritage and pride of the Bellary steel industry.

The Arcelor Mittal group, the Brahmani Industries Karnataka ltd, THE Shatavahana Ispat and the Navakaranataka Steels are the supposedly biggest contributors of the Bellary steel industries. These industries are situated in the outskirts of Bellary.

JSW which is a unit of the Jindal Steels is established 30 kms away from Bellary in the Sandur taluka. JSW boasts about an investment of 15,131 crores in the Bellary steel industry.

There are more than 3472 rural artisans whose activity comprises of Carpentry, Blacksmith, Cane and Bamboo, Leather, Tailoring, Goldsmith, Rope making, Pottery, Cotton weaving and Silk weaving etc.,

Bellary has a well-developed tourism sector, which draws tourists to its:

  • Its majestic Colonial Buildings
  • Stately Bellary Fort
  • Renown Ballari Gudda
  • The Rocks
  • Kumbara Gudda

How to ReachBy Bus – Bellary City is well connected by bus network.By Train – Bellary City is well connected by train networkBy Air – The nearest Airport to reach Bellary is Bangalore, 305 KM away.

*** *** ****

Kurugodu also known as Karagodu is a town in the southern state of Karnataka, India

Kurugodu is famous for Sri Doddabasaveswara temple.Kurugodu village (declared as taluk headquarters for the newly declared Kurugodu taluk) is 28 kms from Bellary town. Basaveshwara temple with modern gopura and large Nandi (12 feet height) attracts quite a good number of pilgrims. In old Kurugodu there are nine temples on one side and one temple on the other side of Hanumantha hill. No mortar was used and all had been constructed of granite.Kurgodu is remarkable for the number of temples in its vicinity, among them a very fine new one dedicated to Siva and containing a colossal representation of the bull Nandi, a monolith. There are several inscriptions cut in stone in the temples.

Kudutinnithe first stage on the Dharwar road and formerly considered a sacred place as the halting place of Komarasami on his expedition against the Rakshas. The town is a small one, but there is a good tank and the remains of a strong fort. Ruins in the town show that a Jaina settlement lived there at one time

Villages near Bellary

BELAGALLU
CHALAGURKI
DAMMURU
GANAKIHAL
H.VEERAPURA
HALAKUNDI
HANDIHAL
KALLUKAMBA
KAPPAGAL.
KAREKAL
KOLAGALLU
KOLUR
KORALGUNDHI
KUDITINI
KURUGODU
M.GONAL
MOKA
NELLUDI
ORVAI
P.D.HALLI
RUPANAGUDI
SANGANAKAL
SANJEEVARAYANAKOTE
SHANKARABANDA
SIDDAMMANAHALLI
SIDIGINAMOLA
SINDHIGERI
SIRIVARSOMASAMUDRA
SRIDHARAGADDA
VANENOOR
YATHENABUDIHAL
YELABENCHI
YEMMIGANUR
YERANGALIGI
YERRAGUDI




Thursday, 09 May 2013 13:17

Kudligi

Kudligi taluk takes its name from its headquaters town which is at a distance of 80 kms. from Bellary city. The area of this taluk is 864 square miles. It contains 384 villages or one to every ( 2-1) Square Miles Of Country.But of these 102 are ‘Becharak’ or deserted, and 73 have a population under 100.

The taluk is bounded on the north by the HB Halli and Sandur taluks,on the south by Jagalur taluk of Davanagere district and Molakalmuru taluk of Chitradurga district,on the east by the Anantapur district of Andhra Pradesh and on the west by Harpanahalli taluk of Davanagere district.
Kudligi taluk is the second largest in area and third largest in population among seven taluks.

_ The area of this taluk is 864 square miles. It contains 384 villages or one to every ( 2-1) Square Miles Of Country.But of these 102 are ‘Becharak’ or deserted, and 73 have a population under 100.

The cultivation in this taluk is very small as the soil rocky and stony. On the north-east the Komarasami range is prolonged to the neighborhood of Gudikotta. There are low hills all round the cubs also. The highest point in the taluk is probably Jerrimalla hill about 8 miles from Kudlighi.

This taluk contains 537,015 acres including the hill tracts and Proumboke land. In the accounts only 523,884 acres are shown as assessed and fit for cultivation. Of these only 124,428 acres are actually under cultivation. The rest or three quarters of the taluq is waste

Cultivation
The major crops grown are maize, jowar, bajra, groundnut, sunflower and cotton.

Places of Interest

(a) Amaradevaragudda:
There is a huge banyan tree in this village which spreads an area of 1.71 acres.It is 3 kms from Kudligi town.

(b) Chikkajogihalli:
A small tiny backward village has been transformed into a model village by one Sri.K.Venkataswamy, a businessman. With the cooperation of villagers the village is now equipped with modern facilities like hospital, veterinary hospital, Kinderngarten school, Primary, Secondary and high school, post and telegraph office, Co-operative societies and many other institutions which genrally not found in other vilages.

(c) Gudekote:
Gudekote is a revenue circle at a distance of 28 kms east of Kudligi. There is fort on the top of a hill.This is built with enormous sized blocks.At a distance of 3 kms from this place, one Sarvodayagrama is organised in about 100 acres under the guidance of Sri.M.Vasudevecharya, a sarvodaya worker. The lands were donated in 1961 under Bhoodan Movement.

(d) Gunasagara:
The temple of Gopalakrishna in this village is quite famous for its workmanship.

(e) Kottur:
This town is named after the great saint Kottura swamy who lived here. He is worshipped near his samadhi and also at a temple which is in the middle of the town. It is 19 kms from Kudligi town

This  is said to have been founded about 400 years ago by a hermit named Basappa, in whose honor there is a temple in the village. Since the removal of the Moonsiff’s Court, which was once stationed here, the population has fallen off and the importance of the town decreased.

(f) Nibalagere:
Noted for the manufacture of woolen blankets.

(g) Ujjini:
This village is 21 kms from Kudligi town. There is one important religious institution in this village viz.,Ujjayini Saddharma Peetha. Matha runs a sanskrit school.
Thursday, 09 May 2013 13:16

Hospet

This taluq was formerly known as the Kampli taluq. In 1851 the head quarters of the taluq were moved from Kampli district, on account of the large revenue drawn from the lands below the river channels.

Area and Cultivation. _ The area of the taluq is 540 square miles exclusive of the Sandur jag hire which contains 145 more. This jag hire was formerly included in the Kudlighi taluq, was in 1832 transferred to Hospet taluq and has recently been declared to be an independent native state. An account of it will be found in another place.

 The principal natural features of the taluq are the parallel ranges of hills bounding the Sandur valley, which run though the taluq from north to south, finishing rather abruptly at Hospet. Some of the higher plateau of these ranges has an elevation of 3,000 feet, There are smaller detached ranges, one commencing near Papanaikenhalli and going on to Daroji, and another starting from KAMLAPUR AND PASSING BY Bukkasagara to Mettri. The slopes of these hills are well-wooded and most of the fuel consumed in Bellary is brought from them. The western half of taluq has a more open aspect. The soil is thriought rich. About 4 per cent of the soil of the taluq is black cotton soil, but in the west the red predominates. Excluding the hill ranges, and the rocky portion of the taluq, 260,114 acres are entered in the accounts as more or less fit for cultivation. Of these 48 per cent. Are cultivated, and the remainder waste.

 Hospet. (Hossa petta, new town)

This town is now the taluq. The Head Assistant Collector was formerly stationed here and had charge of the four western taluqs, but his office was removed in 1868. His cut cherry is now occupied as a range office by the Public Works Department. The main street of the town is wide and contains good houses and shops, but the back streets are narrow and tortuous. The town was greatly improved in 1866 and 1867 by leveling the old fort wall and filling up the ditch, formerly a receptacle for all kinds of rubbish. The town is situated on high ground and is considered healthy. The hill behind the town is called Joladarashi (heap of cholum) on account of its shape. There are two fine temples at the end of the main street. The chief industry of the place is of course weaving, but brass and copper vessels are made in great quantities. Just outside the town are some curious tombs of Muhammad an architecture. The London Mission had a school here at one time, but it has been discontinued, and a rate-school substituted. The Committee is selected from the leading men of Hospet and Chitwadi.

Hospet taluk takes its name from its head quaters town. The headquarters town is about 64 kms away from Bellary city. It was built by Vijayanagara empire between 1509 and 1520 in honour of Nagaladevi whom he married.

The taluk is bounded on the north by the Gangavathi taluk of Koppal district, on the south by Sandur taluk, on the east by the Bellary taluk and on the west by H B Halli taluk.

Hospet taluk is the smallest in area and occupies second place in population among seven taluks.

Cultivation
The normal rainfall is 658.3 mm. The major crops grown are paddy, maize, jowara, bajra, groundnut, sunflower, sugarcane and cotton.

Industrialisation
Industrialization is one of the important means of promoting economic development of the country. Hospet is one of the important towns in the districts where industrialization taking place rapidly. In this taluk there are 2974 industrial units with an investment of Rs. 3994.20 lakh. These units provide employment to 15602 persons. Among medium and large scale units Tungabhadra minerals (Iron ore), Sandur manganese and Iron ores, Vyasanakere (Ferrosilicon, Ferro manganese), K.O.F. limited (Oil, Oilcake, Oils Seeds), Pumpasara distillery ltd., (Rectified spirit and I.M.FI, India Sugar’s and Refinance (Sugar), Minerals Sales private ltd., (Sponge Iron) and Tungabhadra Steel Products, (Engineering design and fabrication).
Places of Interest

(a) Tungabadhra Dam:
The picturesque dam which has become a centre of turist attraction is just 6 kms from Hospet.There are three guest houses viz.,Vaikunta,Kailasa and Indra Bhavana which provides wonderful views of the reservoir.

(b) Kamalapura:
It is an old city of Vijayanagara empire.There is a fort and a stone well. An Archaeological Museum established in 1953 is maintained by the ASI. This has been started to exhibit architectural pieces of Vijayanagara period, to the public for explaining the culture and life.

 This town is five miles distant from the cubes and is chiefly celebrated for its iron foundries, if they may be so called. An enormous quantity of sugar-cane is grown in the rich lands below the channels, and to boil the juice down, large iron pans are required. These are made at Kamlapur. There is not a single good street in the town which is built underneath the tank-bund. Kamlapur was at one time a suburb of Vijiyanagar, and ruins of the ancient city and the modern houses of Kamlapur are side by side. There is a small bungalow here, belonging to the estate of the late Mr. Hathaway, where visitors to the ruins usually stop. There is also a substantially-built chetrum for native travelers and pilgrims.

Kishkindha in Bellary

According to the great epic Ramayana, Kishkindha was the kingdom of the Anthropoid King Vali. This place is situated on the splendid banks of the holy river Tungabhadra. The epic also referred about the grand hills Hrishyamuk, Malyabanta and Matanga. A mound can be seen here, where the king Vali is said to have been laid to rest. A temple dedicated to Lord Rama can also be seen here.

Kampli

The town is built on the banks of the Tungabhadra river, and close to it is one of the fords where the river may be crossed. A Sub Magistrate is stationed here, but his Cut cherry built in the very heart of the town is in a ruined condition. The town is not healthy, its site is low, and it is surrounded by paddy-fields. Weaving, especially of silk cloths, is carried on here. The town would be improved if the walls of the old fort were knocked down.

 

 

 







Thursday, 09 May 2013 13:06

Dr. Vishnuvardhan Park

Dr||Vishnuvardhana Park was inaugurated on 12-08-2011 for public. The statue of the veteran kannda actor Dr||Vishnuvardhan was also unveiled during this occasion. The park is constructed by Jindal Steels Ltd., Toranagallu with a cost of Rs.1.10 Crores in an area of about 3 acres. This park has ample opportunity for the children to play around.

Location: It is about 5 km from Bus Stand and Railway Station.
Page 6 of 9

About Us

NammaBellary.com is a first business & informational website Designed by Adya Technologies, Ballari. We are specialised in Web Design & Development, Bulk SMS, Email, Web Hosting.

NammaBellary.com provides information on various sectors like Business, People, Movies, Tourism, Blood Donors, Banks, Hospitals, Schools & Colleges etc.